Kola Kanda is a very nutritious and creamy herbal drink typical of Sri Lanka served hot, before breakfast to cleanse the body.
The drink can be made from any kind of local dark green edible leaves (Gotukola, Mukunuwenna, Ranawara, Welpenela, Polpala, Iramusu, Hathawariya, Elabatu, Aligetapera, Erabadu), cooked rice and coconut milk.
The truth is that the first time I tried it I did not like it because of the texture (very thick) and the taste (I felt like I was eating grass), but little by little my palate became accustomed to it, and now I love it.
It is very easy to prepare and you can play with the amount of each ingredient to get the desired texture and taste.
This is the recipe that Chamil, a local woman I met, shared with me
- Boil 1 cup of rice (best if it is red rice)
- Choose the mixture of green leaves that you want to us
- Grind the green leaves with water in a blender.
- Mix the boiled rice, the crushed leaves, 50 ml of coconut milk (or shredded coconut) and salt in a bowl
- Add more water or coconut milk to achieve the desired texture and flavor
- Boil the ingredients for about 5 minutes and stir continuously.
- Let stand for a while and serve it hot
These are some surprising health benefits of Kola Kanda
- Prevents and improves constipation
- Improves the immune system
- Reduces cholesterol levels
- Helps to improve high blood pressure
- Prevents cancer and heart disease
- It is good for fighting fatigue
As you can see, it is an easy-to-prepare drink that you can include in your daily routine or you can also use it one day a week as a breakfast substitute for purifying your body.
Do you dare try it?
Love and gratitude