Ginger, originally from Asia, is one of the healthiest spices in the world.
Thanks to its healing properties this root has traditionally been used by various cultures, in fact, it is also known as the miracle root for the large number of beneficial properties it provides.
I’m going to explain the main benefits of ginger, the different ways we can consume it and some of my favorite recipes to include in our diet.
It is an aromatic plant with a spicy flavor, rich in antioxidants, essential oils, vitamins, minerals and amino acids.
Regular consumption of this root gives us the following benefits:
- Relieves gastric discomfort, facilitating digestion and improving flatulence, gastritis, gastric ulcers and diarrhea.
- Excellent anti-inflammatory and analgesic; very helpful in reducing the pain of those suffering from arthritis, osteoarthritis, fibromyalgia or chronic fatigue.
- Relieves pain of ovaries own menstruation
- Prevents Cancer
- Reduces and prevents migraines
- Reduces anxiety and stress
- Prevents cardiovascular diseases and improves circulation
- Helps in weight loss by acting as an accelerator of metabolism
- Increases libido
Although for most people is safe at normal doses, pay attention to some of these cases:
- If you are taking any medication, it is advisable to consult your doctor because it can interfere with the action of some drugs.
- Take caution if you have serious gastrointestinal problems.
- Avoid in cases of hypertension.
- Ask your doctor for advice if you are pregnant.
How to consume
You can find and consume it in several ways:
- Infusion: it is the most typical way of taking it, especially in winter when it’s cold.
- Raw root: you can grate the root and add in any culinary recipe. When buying ginger, choose the rhizomes that appear crisp and break easily, and keep them in the refrigerator (with the vegetables).
- Powder: ideal to control the doses we take and to use it as a spice for cooking.
- Comfit: it is a sweeter option, like a candy but be careful because it has a lot of sugar.
- Fresh juice: ideal for adding to fruit or vegetable smoothies.
- Capsules: for those who do not like the taste, you can get the benefits of taking it as a food supplement.
- Essential oil: for massage
My favorite recipes
Ginger tea and cinnamon
- 1 slice of thick ginger
- 1 cinnamon stick
- ½ lemon
- 1 cup water
- Rallar el jengibre
- Poner agua a cocer, añadir el jengibre y la canela y dejar cocer a fuego lento durante 10 minutos
- Exprime el jugo de medio limón
- Retirar el jengibre y la canela y añadir el agua al jugo de limón
- If would like a strong ginger flavor, then we add the ginger at the end, and if we want a milder flavor, is it best to put it in the beginning.
Orange juice, carrot and ginger
- 2 oranges
- 2 carrots
- 1 pinch of fresh ginger
- Peel the carrots and cut into chunks
- Squeeze the juice from the oranges
- Mix the juice, pieces of carrots, a little water and ginger in blender and blend until they become a homogeneous juice.
Melon soup with ginger (for 2-3 people)
- 1/5 kilo of melon (without skin and seeds)
- 25 grams of fresh ginger
- Black pepper
- Salt and extra virgin olive oil
- 2-3 tomatoes cherries
- Peel and cut melon.
- Peel the ginger and grate
- Put the melon, ginger, pepper, salt and oil in a blender and blend until you get smooth dough.
- Refrigerate it and serve with a scoop of fresh melon, a cherry tomato and some almonds sprinkled on top.
- If you want to make a more elaborate dish, you can add tuna marinated in teriyaki sauce, sauteed shrimp and thin slices of avocado.
Seafood ceviche with coconut and ginger
- 250 grams of seafood (rings of calm or pulpits)
- 100 ml of lemon juice
- 50 milliliters of coconut water
- 1 red onion
- 50 grams of fresh cilantro
- 15 grams of fresh ginger
- Put the squid rings in a bowl with lemon juice, salt and pepper and let marinate for about 20 minutes.
- Add the coconut milk and red onion into slices and marinate another 10 minutes
- Add the cilantro and chopped ginger and marinate another 5 minutes
- Ceviche is characterized by seafood or fish cooked with the acid in the marinade. However, to octopus, squid and cuttlefish, you can boiled a little at first so that the meat is a little softer.
I hope you like it!
Love and gratitude